FIXTURES‎ > ‎U-14‎ > ‎

2010 U-14 Hurling Title

Black and Ambers Too Strong For Deelside Blues

2010 Westmeath U14 hurling final: Castletown-Geoghegan 4-12, Raharney 1-9

Castletown Geoghegan’s Paddy Doody and Jack Carroll, Raharney vie for possession in the Under 14 Hurling Final in St Loman's on Saturday last.

A hugely entertaining Under 14 final was played in front of a bumper crowd in Lakepoint Park, St. Loman's on Saturday afternoon last and when the dust had settled it was the young hurlers of Castletown-Geoghegan who had really put their opponents to the sword. Both teams won their respective Feile divisions this year, Raharney in Division 2 and Castletown in Division 3 so this had all the hallmarks of a classic.

However despite a shaky start, it was always Castletown’s day and when they got into gear they simply had too much firepower for a slightly out of sorts Raharney. The Blues just could not get their game going and with the Castletown defence in mean mood it was merely a matter of time before the tide began to swing.

Goals from Johnny Bermingham and a beauty from Cormac Deegan just before the break laid the foundation and when Liam Cassidy scored his second half way through the second half then there really was only going to be one winner and from there to the finish it was merely a procession as Raharney wilted and Castletown prospered and in the end 12 points separated the two teams.

Ironically it was Raharney who started much the brighter and Sean Quinn opened the scoring with a lovely point. Killian Doyle then pointed a free to double that lead and at this stage it was all Raharney as Castletown struggled. Liam Cassidy got them off the mark, however after super work by Alan Kincaid and then a fine catch and strike by Cormac Deegan levelled matters.

Cassidy turned the tide in Castletown’s favour when he burst through the Raharney defence and crashed the ball to the net for a marvellous goal.

A Shane Clavin ‘65 moments later put four between the teams and now it was Raharney who needed a boost and Sean Quinn started that comeback with a lovely score and shortly afterward a high ball to the Castletown square was not dealt with and again Quinn was on the spot to whip the ball to the net for an opportunist goal and the sides were level.

It was not to last long though as Castletown broke down the field and Bermingham sent a ball goalward from the clouds which ended up nestling in the net. The same player added another point almost immediately and shortly afterward the tide turned even further when goalie Stephen Fagan made a magnificent save from Ciaran Doyle at full stretch.

They broke down the field and after Clavin pointed a ‘45 yard free, Cormac Deegan snuck in along the end line and rattled a super goal that really put daylight between the sides. Late scores from Pauric Kincaid and Clavin left a the point gap at the break as Castletown led 3-7 to 1-3.

Quick start

Raharney needed a quick and strong start to the half but it was Castletown who almost got a fourth goal from Deegan but Brandon Carey the came to the rescue when he blocked a certain goal from Killian Doyle’s effort. Ciaran Doyle pointed the resultant ‘65 and repeated the dose moments later with another fine strike.

Castletown needed to steady the ship and it was that man Clavin who scored a wonderful point and then added another when set up by Paddy Doody.

The game was really over as a contest when Liam Cassidy collected the ball just outside the 21 yard line and headed goalward. His strike was right to the top corner and despite the best efforts of Dan Greville he could just not get to it. Clavin added a minor from a ‘65 to extend that lead and even at this stage it was damage limitation for the Blues.

Killian Doyle and Jack Cully did pull two back for Raharney but it was goals they needed and try as they might they simply could not penetrate a resolute Castletown defence.

Two monster frees from Clavin nullified all of Raharney’s work but they did finish with a flourish with points again from Killian Doyle and Cully when they were going for the three pointers but Castletown held firm and kept going to the end.

Castletown had stars all over the field but special mention must go to Clavin who was superb at midfield while others to excel were Conor Keane, Alan Kincaid and Morgan Mealiffe at the back while up front Cassidy was unstoppable while Johhny Bermingham and Conor Deegan played their part as well but it was the all round team ethic that won the day for the Black and Ambers.

For Raharney the Doyles, Killian and Ciaran tried their hearts out while Jack Cully, Sean Quinn and Darren Giles were others to impress but they simply could not match a rampant Castletown side and they will know that more than anyone.

Alan Kincaid accepted the Cup on behalf of his team mates to the delight of all in the famous Black and Amber colours.

Scorers: Castletown-Geo.: Shane Clavin 0-8 5 frees, Liam Cassidy 2-1, Johnny Bermingham and Cormac Deegan 1-1, Pauric Kincaid 0-1. Raharney: Sean Quinn 1-2, Killian Doyle 0-3, 1 free, Jack Cully and Ciaran Doyle (2 ‘65s), 0-2 each.

Castletow-Geoghegan: Stephen Fagan, Conor Keane, James Fox, Brendan Heeney, Alan Kincaid, Morgan Mealiffe, Brandon Carey, Shane Clavin, Thomas Moran, Cathal Daly, Conor Glennon, Johnny Bermingham, Paddy Doody, Liam Cassidy, Cormac Deegan. Subs: Pauric Kincaid for Glennon 23 mins, Andrew Corbett for Bermingham 45 mins, Liam McNally-Wood for Daly 51 mins, Dan Glennon for Doody 54 mins, Phelim Kirby for Deegan 59 mins.

Raharney: Dan Greville, Jack Carroll, Wesley Doyle, Derek Conroy, Jamie Duignan, Darren Giles, Jack Coyne, Jack Cully, Killian Doyle, Theo Broderick, Sean Quinn, James Goonery, Eoin Weir, Ciaran Doyle, Jack Duignan. Subs: Kaolon Hickey for Jack Duignan 34 mins, Conor Murray for Coyne 42 mins, Dylan Riggs for Giles 59 mins.

Referee: Barry Kelly, St. Oliver Plunketts.

Clavin Points the Way To Impressive Castletown-Geoghegan Victory
(Topic Newspaper)

Castletown-Geoghegan 4-12            Raharney 1-9

A curtain-raiser to whet the appetite: Castletown-Geoghegan and Raharney met in the Westmeath under-14 championship final, before a great crowd at St Loman's GAA grounds last Saturday, where the former gained revenge for their narrow defeat by the same opposition in this year's Féile Na nGael final. On top of that, both teams had won honours at the National Féile finals this year (Raharney winning a Division 2 title and Castletown-Geoghegan emerging victorious in Division 3), so the scene was set for a thriller. In the end, Castletown-Geoghegan's strong defence gave them a solid platform and Shane Clavin turned in a mighty display at midfield, scoring eight points, as the black and ambers triumphed.

It was 3-7 to 1-3 in Castletown-Geoghegan's favour at the interval and it was clear that only a considerable Raharney improvement would wipe out that 10-point deficit. The goals they required never materialised and capable Castletown-Geoghegan captain, Alan Kincaid, accepted the beautiful cup from John Weir, Chairman of Coise Na nÓg, after the final whistle.

Raharney had two points on the board through Sean Quinn and Killian Doyle (free), before Liam Cassidy opened Castletown's account in the 10th minute. Cormac Deegan's score from a tight angle leveled it and Clavin set up Cassidy for the opening goal soon after - the full forward's shot finding the roof of the net. Clavin added a point from a 65-metre free, but Raharney hit back defiantly. Quinn pointed in the 17th minute and was then released by a pass from Eoin Weir, to score the equalising goal, with a low, crisp shot to the net. Castletown got a major boost in the 23rd minute when Johnny Birmingham's angled shot
dropped into the Raharney net, with Cormac Deegan chasing it home just to make certain. The black and ambers built on it as Birmingham added a point, while a superb save from Stephen Fagan denied Raharney's Ciaran Doyle a goal.

Clavin's free, in the 30th minute, from well out on the stand side made it 2-5 to 1-3, but Castletown weren't finished just yet. Cormac Deegan ghosted in, and found the net, while points from Padraig Kincaid and Clavin gave Castletown- Geoghegan a huge lead at the break.

Raharney, as ever, were not about to capitulate and early points from Ciaran Doyle (both 65s) cut the leeway, after Deegan was almost through for another Castletown goal. Deegan had a major on his mind again in the 12th minute, but shot wide under pressure, before Clavin's surge led to him scoring his side's
eighth point of the day.

Clavin was having a major influence and struck over another quality point soon after, before Liam Cassidy's shot found the net, despite a touch by the Raharney goalie, Dan Greville. Another accurate Clavin free made it 4-10 to 1-5 and there was no way back, though midfielders, Killian Doyle and Jack Cully both
hit points for the Deelsiders. Two Clavin frees accounted for Castletown's final tally, while Raharney replied
with points from Killian Doyle and Jack Cully (free). Substitute, Kaolan Hickey was denied a goal as Fagan produced another good save for the champions-elect. There was plenty of passion on display, too, and referee Barry Kelly had to issue yellow cards after it threatened to boil over, but it couldn’t spoil a wonderful occasion.

This was Castletown-Geoghegan’s, and, in particular, Clavin’s day, and they celebrated when the final whistle sounded.

Castletown-Geoghegan: Shane Clavin 0-8 (5 frees), Liam Cassidy 2-1, Johnny Birmingham and Cormac Deegan 1-1 each, Pauric Kincade 0-1, 

Raharney: S. Quinn 1-2, K. Doyle 0-3 (1 free), J. Cully 0-2, C. Doyle 0-2 (65’s)

Castletown-Geoghegan panel: Stephen Fagan, Conor Kane, James Fox, Brendan Heeney, Alan Kincade (Captain), Morgan Mealiffe, Brandon Carey, Shane Clavin, Thomas Moran, Cathal Daly, Conor Glennon, Johnny Birmingham, Paddy Doodey, Liam Cassidy, Cormac Deegan, Pauric Kincade, Andrew Corbett, Liam McNally-Woods, Dan Glennon, Phelim Kirby, William Haynes, Brendan McMahon, Joseph Fagan, Owen Mularkey , Sean Maher (injured) & Michael Costelloe.

Team Management: Eamon McDonald (Trainer), Benny McDonald & Joe Glennon.