Hurling Titles‎ > ‎Senior‎ > ‎

1979 Senior Hurling Final

CASTLETOWN 0-13            RAHARNEY 2-4

Castletown-Geoghegan ended a fifteen year barren spell when they recorded their seventh S.H.C. victory with a 0-13 to 2-4 win over Raharney in the 1979 final played at Cusack Park, on October 7th.

A crowd of 3,267 saw this game which was not a classic by any means but the toughness of the exchanges provided plenty of entertainment. Winning the toss Raharney elected to play against the breeze – a calculated risk that just didn’t come off. The black and ambers were first to score – a point by Finbar Clarke in the second minute. Mick Ryan put Raharney level in the fourth minute, a scorer that was quickly cancelled by Dessie Costelloe. In the eight minute Willie Lowry had Castletown's third point a score that was followed by the retiral of Ger Jackson with a nasty facial injury. Ray Smyth narrowed the gap with a point, but Willie Lowry restored the status quo from the puck out. Eamonn Clarke added another point and Raharney were in need of scores. Five minutes before half-time Finbar Clarke had a lovely point and the teams retired with Castletown leading 0-6 to 0-2.

Two minutes into the second-half Castletown increased their lead with an Eamonn Clarke point and five minutes later Willie Lowry had them six points in front. Raharney mentors made positional changes in an effort to stem the tide and they were rewarded in the 12th minute when Mickey Flanagan rammed home a goal.

From the puck-out Joe Clarke had a point and Castletown were four points ahead (09 to 1-2) going into the last quarter. Joe added another point but Raharney rallied for Mattie McKeogh to point. Pat Dalton had Castletown's eleventh point in the eighteenth minute and Raharney's hopes were fading fast.

A Dinny McCormack goal in the 22nd minute gave them fresh hope but Eamonn Clarke replied with a well taken point. Castletown were now three points ahead and the insurance point came three minutes from time, from Dessie Costelloe. Dinny McCormack had the last score — a point — ninety seconds from time.

Castletown-Geo.: Sean Dalton, Christy Byrne, Tommy Lowry (Capt.), Brendan Jackson, Peter Kirby, Gerry Whelan, Stephen Hanratty, Pat Dalton (0-1), Ger Jackson, Eamonn Clarke (0-3), Willie Lowry (0-3), Eamonn Corcoran, Joe Clarke (0-2), Dessie Costelloe (0-2), Finbarr Clarke (02). Sub.: Mick Jackson.

Raharney: Sean Greville, Kevin Lynch, Seamus Holdwright, Tosh Cleary, Ray Nelson, Frank Shiels (Capt.), Johnny McManus, Dome Smyth (0-1), Liam Lynch, Kevin Carr, Dinny McCormack (1-1), Mickey Flanagan (1-0), Ray Smyth, Mick Ryan (0--I), Nickey Weir. Sub.: Mattie McKeogh (0-1).

Referee: Terry O'Dowd (Mullingar).