Hurling Titles‎ > ‎U-21‎ > ‎

1971 U-21 Hurling Final

Castletown-Geoghegan 5-9, St Brigid's 0-8.

Castletown-Geoghegan retained their U21 hurling crown by defeating St Brigid's in the final played in Cusack Park on Sunday 31st October 1971. The hurling was of a high standard throughout and the game itself was very entertaining. The half time score was Castletown 2-6, St Brigid's 0-6. The match report states that a keen rivalry has developed between these two neighbouring teams in recent years. However the firm, decisions of referee, Mr Pat Collins, ensured that the game never boiled over. After eighteen minutes Peter Keegan, St Brigid's was sent off and four minutes later Eamon Clarke received marching orders, to leave both sides with fourteen men.

Castletown were a well balanced team and every member played his part in the victory. Goalkeeper, Mick Jackson was the essence of coolness and he had many fine saves to his credit. He got good cover from a solid full back line of Brendan Jackson, Sean Corcoran and Paddy Kelly. Centre half back, Scan Keegan cleared his lines on many occasions. Wing backs, Roger Garvin and Christy Byrne gave Keegan good support. Gerry Whelan and Tommy Lowry formed a strong midfield and set their side on the offensive time and again. The forwards combined well, with team captain, Michael Garvin, in devastating form. Wing half forwards, Matt Kirby and Sean Fox and the full forward line of Noel Geraghty, Myles Kirby and Eamon Clarke, combined well together to notch up the winning scores.

Scorers for Castletown: Myles Kirby 2-0, Mike Garvin 1-2, Sean Fox 1-1, Gerry Whelan 0-4, Noel Geraghty 1-0, Tommy Lowry and Matt Kirby 0-1 each.

Castletown team: Mick Jackson, Brendan Jackson, Sean Corcoran, Paddy Kelly,Christy Byrne, Sean Keegan, Roger Garvin, Tommy Lowry , Gerry Whelan, Matt Kirby, Michael Garvin, Sean Fox, Eamon Clarke, Noel Geraghty, Myles Kirby.

Sub-Gerry Costelloe for Myles Kirby (injured).

St Brigid's: Danny Gallagher, Tommy Carey, Pat O'Brien, Ger Egan, Vinny Bagnall, Vinny Bradley, Martin Eighan, Pat Eighan, Richie Quirke, Nollaig McEntaggart, Pat Bradley, Anthony Gavin, Noel Maher, Peter Keegan, Walter Carroll. Sub: Gerry Gately for Walter Carroll.

After the game Mr Eugene Doherty, Vice-chairman Westmeath county board, presented the cup to Michael Garvin, captain of the winning team.